Monday 7 November 2011

Inaccurate Obituary (HipHop Lives...)







What’s good people?!

I’m a big, big fan of HipHop and I’m always looking for that next act that will show me she’s still alive! Almost everyone with a voice has been proclaiming the death of this culture for a hot minute now. Unless you really don’t pay attention there’s a pretty solid argument for her untimely & equally premature expiration…
I get it too. Radio and subsequently video killing the quality of the music. The lack of the five (not four) elements being at the heart of the majority of most of the music out there. Lack of originality, intelligence, integrity & skill on display does make you wonder how long it can continue…
Tau & Pelt, two heads who have the same kinda love & appreciation for HipHop & just good music in general are my go to guys for these debates. They so happened to be part of what I consider to be my CSI HipHop month! While researching some new Kano/Mikey J  joints I stumbled  across some new Crusada joints. Some good stuff from Lowkey about the riots. New verses from Jay Elec via The Bullitts. Some new Common, some banging Talib that I never even knew about although he’s one of my favourite emcees. Then I found Chima Anya with his old school/new school vibe. Soweto ripping the guest spot too!
The incomparable LyricL also dropped her long awaited debut album and whilst being a fan as well as a friend, I couldn’t be more proud of the work! Launch party was off the chain & we enjoyed every second! The mighty Pharoahe Monch followed about a week later & that was probably one of the best shows I’ve been to (Check my review of both shows on Bravestar.tv).
The icing on this cake came this weekend just gone when I was introduced to Shad via YouTube. I’m quite a music snob & hyper-critical about most emcees in general but after hearing this dude’s tune ‘Yaa I Get It’ I was speechless! HipHop unadulterated! The vibe was tight, the beats bananas (Big up Oddisee for the remix) & the video is so simple but effective. I only realised how good it was after I gave up counting the punchlines! An extensive journey into his back catalogue was the most refreshing thing I’ve had in HipHop since I first heard Respiration by BlackStar…
Basically what I’m trying to say is that HipHop’s post mortem might be a little bit premature. She is out there & just judging by the living legends still showing the hunger in the live shows… the relatively unknown/new dudes who’s artistic integrity is borne out of a complete body of work devoid of ‘swaggar’ , with England & the rest of Europe still keeping it as real as they do we don’t need to worry too much.
But we DO need to support it. We DO need to share it. More importantly, we need to let these new artists & the ones still flying the flag for this culture that it’s appreciated.

So start sharing this shit!

Peace / Love / Guidance – Log!c

No comments:

Post a Comment